I've basically been doing research over the past week for my documentary, since I won't be able to start shooting until Thanksgiving. This weekend, I contacted a producer at the WLKY station in Louisville to get a hold of some archival footage of the first service following the merger between the two churches. Supposedly some 600 people showed up for the mass, which means there should be some good footage available from which to draw.
Also, I found a speech Barack Obama gave on race and religion in the United States, addressing specifically the role of churches in the black community. In this speech from March 18, 2008, President Obama makes reference to 'the old truism that the most segregated hour in American life occurs on Sunday morning." I want to explore the implications of this statement in more detail as my story progresses.
Sounds cool man - have you considered trying to get in touch with some congregation members to possibly interview in order to get more familiar with them before the grand Thanksgiving shooting fest so nobody is shocked when you show up with your huge camera?
ash- i'm still waiting to hear back from WLKY. But, I got permission from the Courier Journal to use archival photos from the event if I want to include them in my doc.
cat- 'grand thanksgiving shooting fest' might be (as in definitely is) an overstatement. haha. but one of the co-pastor's said it would be ok. I'm calling him tomorrow to follow-up though, so we'll find out soon enough.
What did the producer say about the archive footage? Are they going to let you use it?
ReplyDeleteSounds cool man - have you considered trying to get in touch with some congregation members to possibly interview in order to get more familiar with them before the grand Thanksgiving shooting fest so nobody is shocked when you show up with your huge camera?
ReplyDeleteash- i'm still waiting to hear back from WLKY. But, I got permission from the Courier Journal to use archival photos from the event if I want to include them in my doc.
ReplyDeletecat- 'grand thanksgiving shooting fest' might be (as in definitely is) an overstatement. haha. but one of the co-pastor's said it would be ok. I'm calling him tomorrow to follow-up though, so we'll find out soon enough.